“What is PollCart?” you might ask. The best way I know to describe it to you is by writing an imaginary letter from the perspective of a fictitious business owner. (I hope that soon there will be dozens of real letters flowing in.) So please read on, keeping in mind that this is my imagination speaking:
As an online retailer I was continually frustrated by the repeated reality that 3 out of 4 shoppers would take one or more of our products to the Shopping Cart, but never close the deal. I often thought, there’s got to be a way, with the technology available in our day, to give consumers the confidence they need to do the deal. There must be a way to bring in the support or encouragement the shopper needs to go ahead and press the “submit purchase” button.
Thankfully the imaginative people at PollCart have put their skills, wisdom, and understanding of human nature together to give us a chance to greatly improve the ability to make the sell, providing our potential customers with the products we’ve designed and offered to make their lives better.
Here’s how it works. (My own non-technical explanation.) The visitor to our website puts together her/his team of confidants, whom she/he trusts to give good advice on purchases she/he is considering.
Just names and email addresses. Then the shopping experience moves ahead. At check out the purchase is entered because the customer has the full assurance that, according to the parameters he or she has programmed in, their card will not be charged until the safety net of their PollCart team has performed its function. Then, boom. Our products are on the way to another customer!
I’ve considered several “fringe benefits” of PollCart, besides the major reduction in the shopping cart abandonment:
- Fewer returns because of buyer remorse
- New prospects for our products. (Those who are in the shopper’s PollCart community may very likely become interested in our products for their own needs.)
- Huge bottom line upside. The tiny percentage PollCart charges for their services (and that’s only on completed purchases,) is so far outweighed by the increased sales, that it is actually one of those rare welcomed expenses.
- We don’t have to hire staff or tie up staff to figure all the technology and details out, PollCart takes care of it turn-key. It just works.
- The feedback we’re getting is indicating that the PollCart experience makes shopping on our site fun! Now that’s way cool!
Okay, so what’s not to like about that? In the grand scheme of things, we’re a smaller retailer, but it looks like the returns will increase exponentially the larger the sales volume. I said, “Please, Mr. PollCart,” and now I just want to say, “thank you!” This thing is going to change online retailing for good, and I’m glad our company had the opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
Thanks for working with me on the fictional story deal, but I hope it’s given you the vision of PollCart and that you see unlimited potential in this technology. The potential is here for improving retailer’s bottom line and turning online shopping into a personal connection experience. That’s your basic win – win!
By Chuck Williams
Chuck is a retired pastor, published author, and the father or PollCart founder and CEO, Rich Williams.